Authors: Valerie Hisam

Lunchtime will be more crowded than usual due to the large amount of future journalism students who will be visiting the Lory Student Center today for the annual Colorado High School Journalism Day.

More than 1,200 high school students will be attending sessions and keynote speakers all day to learn more about the future career they plan to pursue.

“Journalism Day is an event-filled day for high school journalism students and advisers,” said Colorado High School Press Association Executive Director Kim Blumhardt. “It is a great experience for high school journalists, especially with so much crammed into one day.”

The focus of Journalism Day, explained CHSPA intern and senior public relations major Taryn Foellmer, is to give “valuable information to high school students that will help guide them when making future decisions.”

Foellmer, along with fellow intern and senior public relations major Elizabeth Winfield, agree that this is a good event and are both looking forward to all of their hard work paying off.

The key note speakers, who are the highlight of the day along with the awards ceremonies, include: CSU alum and Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Jim Sheeler, of The Rocky Mountain News, Fox 31 anchor Ron Zappolo and the 2005 Journalism Education Association Yearbook Adviser of the Year Martha Akers.

This is the fifth time CHSPA’s Journalism Day will be held at CSU and not only is it important to those high school students attending, but is also “the perfect opportunity to showcase the Journalism Department and the Student Media operations” at CSU, said Blumhardt.

“We have so much support from so many different professionals,” Blumhardt added. “One of the greatest things is that so many people have given their time and energy for this event and CHSPA.”

Staff writer Valerie Hisam can be reached at news@collegian.com.