Authors: Kevin Johnson

Republican Bob Beauprez and Democrat Bill Ritter will face off in a gubernatorial debate at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts this afternoon.

According to a press release, three panelists, including CSU’s own political science professor John Straayer, will question the candidates, while 9NEWS anchor Bob Kendrick will serve as moderator.

Straayer was asked to be on the panel for the event by the University Communications Office because he has been studying and writing about the legislature and Colorado politics for decades.

“There is probably no one in the world who knows more about Colorado politics than Dr. Straayer,” said CSU spokesman Brad Bohlander in a telephone interview Wednesday morning.

“He has literally written the book on Colorado politics and is the foremost expert in the field. He knows the candidates he knows the issues, he will ask the right questions, the tough questions. about higher education that are important to our students and faculty.”

The two potential governors will take center stage at, “The Business of Colorado: Governor’s Race Debate.” Each sponsoring organization will have a panelist who will query the candidates on such topics as immigration reform, education funding, water and transportation issues, Referenda C and D and the state’s role in providing business incentives.

“The three of us on the panel (Straayer, 9NEWS political correspondent Adam Schrager and Robert Schwab, editor of ColoradoBiz Magazine) developed questions, and some were sent in, via e-mail, by folks in the business community,” said Straayer in an e-mail.

CSU is helping sponsor the event.

“We wanted to make sure that there was a debate where the questions about higher education funding would certainly be asked,” Bohlander said.

9NEWS will stream the debate live at www.9news.com and also make it available on www.cobizmag.com for those unable to be in attendance at the event. The debate will run from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Staff reporter Kevin Johnson can be reached at news@collegian.com

_________

Watch the debate

11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

www.9new.com, live stream