Authors: CALLIE MOENCH The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Music, applause and laughter echoed out of the Ramskeller and into the Lory Student Center basement Tuesday night.

The Student Advocacy Committee sponsored a talent show to bring in donations for Cans Around the Oval. The show consisted of 13 acts in which students took the spotlight on stage in front of more than 110 people.

If the students were nervous, they didn’t show it, and talents varied from dance and singing to drag shows and magic.

“I think it was great,” said Quill Phillips, emcee for the show. “It wasn’t just singing or dancing, it was magic and poetry, lots of stuff. There’s got to be diversity or it won’t be fun.”

Ram Nation, a drum group of six Native American CSU students, staff and community members kicked off the show with two songs that filled the Ramskeller with resounding beats and expressive voices.

Ciara Freeman, a freshman dance student, brought bursts of applause throughout her vocal rendition of Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing.” Freeman practices by watching American Idol and singing along with the contestants. “I was very nervous up there,” she said, but she was received with extensive applause.

Freeman was followed by another performance of a Whitney Houston song, but with a bit of a twist. A man, dressed in drag, lip-synched “It’s Not Right, But It’s Okay,” tossing dollars brought up by the crowd to the ground. At the end of his performance, he gathered the money and added it to the donations.

“I practiced all night last night,” said Valerie Wolfe, a senior biology major who also did a drag performance, hers to the song “I’m Too Sexy” by Right Said Fred. “I have a lot of fun crossing gender boundaries, and this is something that allowed me to do that.”

The turnout of the crowd was more than the show’s organizers expected. “I was scared it would be less than 50,” said Kristen Singer, a senior history major and organizer with Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services. “It’s at least double what I expected.”

Even at the show’s end, music bumped for those students who stayed behind to dance around the stage.

Each act complemented the others and was met with lively applause from the audience.

“I think all of them had a really great contribution,” Wolfe said. “It showed the diversity that CSU does have.”

Staff writer Callie Moench can be reached at news@collegian.com.