Authors: SEAN STAR The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The Rams’ defense, ranked sixth in the nation, is using a shortened practice week to its advantage.

“In the four years I’ve been here, the only loss was when we had a whole week to prepare,” said defensive coordinator Steve Standard.

CSU and the Air Force Academy will face off for the seventh time in the school’s history later this week on Thursday night.

Standard said having two fewer days to prepare for an opponent simplifies the defensive game plan – something he feels will benefit a unit that is ranked in the top 25 in both rushing and passing defense in the country.

“It just bumps everything up a day,” said junior defensive end Jesse Nading after Tuesday’s practice.

The Rams have defeated the Falcons five out of the last six Thursday night match-ups.

CSU also owns a 10-4 record all-time in games played on a Thursday.

Injury Report: Junior cornerback Joey Rucks suffered a sprained ankle during last Saturday’s game versus Nevada-Las Vegas. Defensive backs coach James Ward said that junior Liddon Levine will likely start in his absence. Senior offensive tackle Josh Day is questionable with a left ankle sprain.

Quote of the day: “Anytime you can play a team in-state and beat them, that’s huge, especially (Air Force),” junior H-back Korry Sperry about this Thursday’s game against Air Force.

Football beat writer Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.