Authors: Geoff Johnson

LOVELAND-A reform candidate running against Marilyn Musgrave and Angie Paccione in the race for the 4th Congressional District said late Monday night that his competition needs to grow up.

“I want to take these two women and say ‘girls, go to your room until you can be nice,'” said Eric Eidsness.

Eidsness, as well as Republican and Democratic candidates Musgrave and Paccione, attended the 18th Old-Fashioned Political Rally at The Ranch First National Bank Exhibition Hall on the Larimer County Fairgrounds.

In all, more than 40 candidates for various offices in the county and the state attended, as well as various groups there to discuss ballot issues such as a statewide pot-legalization initiative, domestic partnership rights, and raising the minimum wage.

But for Eidsness, in the midst of a heated congressional race rife with negative campaigning, civility was a primary point of criticism of the two candidates, both CSU alums.

“All this serves to do is draw attention away from each of these candidates’ failings and weaknesses by highlighting some alleged failing or weakness of the other candidate.”

Eidsness grew up valuing “civility in public discourse,” he said, and that he “condemns” the negative, below-the-belt campaigning.

“My mother said, ‘if you can’t say anything good, don’t say anything at all,'” Eidsness said late Tuesday.

“I am just plain tired of this,” he added.

Of advertisements from Musgrave’s campaign attacking Angie Paccione, Eidsness said, “(The ads) are so outrageous. They are factually incorrect.”

Musgrave has accused Paccione of defaulting on her student loan and Paccione has accused the congresswoman of a hit-and-run crash.

Both women deny the accusations.

“Let’s get rid of these (negative) campaigns,” he added.

Eidsness referred to Paccione as “the anybody-but-Marilyn (Musgrave) Democratic celebrity. She’s gotta earn (US House District 4), and she hasn’t earned it.”

To this, Paccione said, “Our whole plan for 16 months has been to create a compelling alternative to (Musgrave).” She said, “This is not about Marilyn – this is about who can do the job.”

“This is about Angie – for a change,” she added.

Later on, in her speech, Paccione discussed infidelities of Musgrave’s colleagues in Congress and Musgrave’s ties to “special interests.”

Staff writer Geoff Johnson can be reached at news@collegian.com.