Authors: James Baetke

They are instrumental in determining tuition, responsible for approving the Student Conduct Code, and a voting power behind several major issues.

They are the nine members of the CSU board of governors.

Appointed by the Colorado governor, the members are selected from locations along the Front Range and carry some of the biggest responsibilities affecting CSU today.

Mostly known for its decisions to determine tuition costs, the board is widely unknown to the student population.

Both the Fort Collins and Pueblo campuses are under the direction of the board. Decisions of land acquisition, approval of the Student Code of Conduct and recognition of new proposed degrees are all dealt with by the board.

Sen. Bob Bacon, a Republican from Fort Collins who serves as vice-chairman for the Senate Education Committee, says he is generally pleased with the work coming out of the CSU board of governors.

“The board has taken challenges and have tried to make the best decisions,” Bacon said.

The Colorado Senate must approve the governor appointees and despite tradition, some board members lack experience in higher education. But it is obvious the civic duty supercedes this notion, Bacon said.

“Some of us in the legislature have seen the lack of higher education in the board of governors,” Bacon said.

Chad McWhinney is one of four board members who are in the business of real estate. He is CEO of McWhinney Enterprises, a real estate development company headquartered in Loveland and responsible for the development of the Promenade Shops at Centerra, located on Interstate 25 and U.S. Highway 34.

“I view my time as board member as an investment in the community,” said McWhinney, who, like the others member, volunteers his time. “All of the board members have an excellent relationship.”

Patrick Grant, board member and president of the National Western Stock Show, says the board is a motivated and dedicated group of people looking to build the CSU system into something nationally remarkable.

“The board is composed of outstanding individuals,” Grant said. “The most important duties we have are to establish a bold and exciting vision of Colorado State University.”

Grant calls CSU the premier land-grant institution in the world.

“Higher education is crucial to the overall education environment in the state of Colorado,” he said.

CSU President Larry Penley serves as chancellor.

The Associated Students of CSU sends one delegate to sit in on all board meetings. This year’s student representative is Jason Green, ASCSU president.

“They are really efficient and they really move quickly,” Green said.

Green says it is “vitally important” that students become politically aware of the gubernatorial candidates for this November’s elections because the winner will be appointing new board members as they become term limited.

Board meetings are open to the public. The next meeting is scheduled for Oct. 26 at CSU.

Staff writer James Baetke can be reached at news@collegian.com.

_________________________________________

Biographies of the nine voting members (Source: The board of governors of the CSU system)

Phyllis “Diane” Evans

Term expires: 2008

Outside of being a board member, Evans works as vice president of the Land Title Guarantee Company in Castle Rock. Evans holds leadership positions for several community organizations, including chair of the Castle Rock Economic Development Council and president of the Castle Rock Chamber of Commerce.

Patrick Grant

Term expires: 2009

A former Colorado legislator, Grant is currently the president and chief executive officer of the Western Stock Show Association in Denver.

Joe Blake

Term expires: 2010

Blake is president and chief executive officer of the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce. He also serves as chairman of the Colorado Transportation Commission and is a member of the Colorado Tolling Enterprise Board.

Bonifacio “Boney” Cosyleon

Term expires: 2010

As president of his own construction company in Pueblo, Cosyleon is a longtime member of the Greater Pueblo Chamber of Commerce. He has been an instrumental player in the Colorado Contractors Association’s outreach to minority businesses.

Donald Hamstra

Term expires: 2007

A graduate from Andrews University in Michigan, Hamstra is currently a health care administrator for the Brighton Medical Group.

Ed Haselden

Term expires: 2009

As president and CEO of Haselden Construction in Colorado, Haselden serves on the board of directors for Mile High United Way as well as the Boy Scouts of America Mile High Council. He is also a board member of the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce.

Doug Jones

Term expires: 2009

Jones is president and owner of The Jones Realty Group. His professional background includes banking and service as a member of staff for the U.S. Senate in Washington, D.C. Jones is the immediate past chairman of the Denver Botanic Gardens and is currently vice chairman of the Colorado Tourism Office Board of Directors.

Chad McWhinney

Term expires: 2008

McWhinney is president and CEO of McWhinney Enterprises, a real estate development company headquartered in Loveland and responsible for the development of the Promenade Shops at Centerra, located on I-25 and U.S. Highway 34. He is also director of the Northern Colorado Economic Development Corporation and a member of the Urban Land Institute.

Jeffrey Shoemaker

Term expires: 2007

Shoemaker graduated from Colorado-Boulder with a bachelor’s degree in music and music education. A former Colorado legislator, he is the executive director of the Greenway Foundation in Denver that watches over Colorado state parks.