Authors: Amy Robinson The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Greeks have spent the last week raising awareness about cancer.

Up ’til Dawn is a national student-run program that benefits St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. The Memphis-based hospital treats about 163 patients each day, averaging a daily cost of more than $1 million.

The pediatric research center depends mostly on public donations to keep its doors open, said Jenn Taussig, a junior marketing major.

The goal is to raise $100,000 and become the third university to do so ever, Taussig said. In a past year, $72,000 was raised.

Taussig is a representative of the Greek students participating in the campus-wide fundraising efforts. Although Up ’til Dawn is part of the Greek philanthropy, anyone on campus is invited to join a fundraising team. Taussig said she believes this year’s goals should be attainable.

“We’ve done the math and it should take 60 teams of six people to raise the money,” she said.

Each team member is responsible for filling out and mailing 50 letters and asking family and friends for donations to help battle childhood cancer.

Taussig said the Greeks are working to improve campus involvement by talking with resident assistants about getting their floors to join teams.

Kristin Langona is an event marketing representative for St. Jude’s Hospital. She has served as an Up ’til Dawn on-staff adviser for the past two years.

“The events on campus serve as great morale boosters,” Langona said. “They unite Greeks and non-Greeks, upper-classmen and freshmen with one common goal.”

She added that this year, they are hoping to increase the number of side events and activities.

Junior real estate finance major Joe Thompson agrees with Langona regarding the importance of campus involvement. Thompson is a member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity.

“The best thing about Up ’til Dawn is the opportunity to be involved and help another organization like St. Jude’s,” he said. “I like the idea that I am making a small change in a big cause.”

The All Team Meeting Letter Writing Campaign is scheduled for 6 to 10 p.m. Oct. 25 in the North Ballroom of the Lory Student Center.

Up ’til Dawn registration is free through today. A $30 fee will be assessed any time after that. Forms may be found at the Campus Information desk at the Lory Student Center.

For more information about how to become involved with Up ’til Dawn, e-mail csuutd@yahoo.com.

Staff writer Amy Robinson can be reached at news@collegian.com.