Deadline to register today

Authors: Emily Polak

Today is the last chance to register for the Nov. 7 elections.

There are a variety of issues on the ballot for November, including district representatives and governor, as well as addressing issues of marriage rights, minimum wage hikes and pot legalization, which many CSU students have strong opinions about.

“If you don’t vote and something happens that you don’t agree with, you have no one to blame but yourself,” said Danny Jackson, a junior political science major.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 47 percent of 18-24-year-olds voted in the 2004 election.

“There are not enough people our age voting,” said Adday Naoum, a freshman chemical engineering major. “We are the future and it is up to us to make a difference.”

Some students are more apathetic, are not registered and don’t plan to.

“I’m not from the state,” said McKendree Joslyn, a freshmen open-option major. “I’m not well-informed enough to make a good vote.”

Other students would rather vote in their hometown and not register in Fort Collins.

“I consider (Steamboat) my home and am more aware about what is going on there,” said Andy Lex, a junior marketing major.

Officials in Larimer County encourage residents to register and participate in the election in November.

“If (CSU students) are considering themselves a citizen of Fort Collins, they should be registered here,” said Larimer County Clerk Scott Doyle.

There are 151,000 actively registered voters in Larimer County, Doyle said.

He emphasized the variety of ways for students to get out a vote, including absentee ballots and early voting.

Early voting begins Oct. 23 and ends Nov. 3, and there will be a poll at the Lory Student Center.

Doyle recommends participating in early voting because this year’s ballot is the longest since 1914.

Voter registration forms can be picked up at county office buildings, post offices, libraries, schools, city office buildings, chambers of commerce and some grocery stores and banks.

Staff writer Emily Polak can be reached at news@collegian.com.

____________________

The forms must be returned to one of the three following buildings:

-Larimer County Courthouse, 200 W. Oak St., Fort Collins

-Loveland Elections and Motor Vehicle, 205 E. 6th St, Loveland

-Estes Park Elections and Motor Vehicle, 1601 Brodie Ave., Estes Park