Morton is money

Authors: Sean Star

If there were a college football fantasy league, Damon Morton would be the ultimate sleeper pick.

After a second consecutive 100-yard receiving game with a touchdown, the junior is quickly becoming the Rams big-play scoring machine.

Morton tiptoed the sideline beautifully to haul in a 33-yard reception on the Rams’ initial possession to set up the team’s first score.

And after the defense stopped its opponent on a crucial forth down in the third quarter, it was Morton’s 64-yard touchdown catch on the very next play that provided CSU with the ultimate momentum knockout punch.

“As soon as I caught it I thought I was going to get tackled … but then I turned on the jets and knew I could score,” said Morton about his third touchdown in the last two games.

But Morton’s athletic ability is not limited to only catching passes.

The twin brother of teammate Dion eclipsed 100-yard totals on the season in both kick return and punt return yards on Saturday to place himself second in the in the conference in all purpose yards per game with 114.4.

Morton’s 58-yard punt return touchdown at Fresno State last week displayed the lightning-quick moves that make him a threat to score every time the ball is in his hands.

A fellow sports writer for the Collegian pointed out before the season that Morton was going to be an impact player this fall.

I give the man credit because Damon is exactly that.

Before the season many were quick to call this year’s group of receivers the best in school history, and Morton may be the biggest reason why that statement is true.

Listed behind Johnny Walker on the depth chart, Morton has got to be one of the best reserve wide outs in the nation – proving the Rams are as deep at the receiver position as any team in the conference.

Game planning for CSU’s group of six adept pass catchers must be a headache for any opposing defensive, regardless of the effectiveness of the team’s running game.

Factor in the way quarterback Caleb Hanie likes to spread the football around, and stopping the Rams’ passing game has become no small task.

But before anyone gets too excited, it’s important to note that CSU’s opponents thus far have a combined record of 7-21.

Thursday’s game at the Air Force Academy should be a good litmus test for whether this team will contend for the conference championship.

CSU will face an option-offense very similar to the one used by Navy in last year’s embarrassing Poinsettia Bowl loss.

The same game, junior linebacker Jeff Horinek said, was the turning point for a defense that has gone from the basement to the ceiling statistically in the span of less than a year.

Football beat writer Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.