Golf heads to Vegas

Authors: Craig Scholz

The men’s golf team is looking to make its fourth straight finish in the top-10 Monday as it heads to Las Vegas to compete at the District 7 Shoot-Out.

After placing third last week at the Wolf Pack Classic, the team is hoping to continue to its top play and to eliminate mental errors that have hurt the Rams’ chances of placing higher – something Head Coach Jamie Bermel has been preaching to the team.

Not much more can be said about Zen Brown, who, after placing second at the Wolf Pack Classic, now has three straight top-10 finishes this season, two of which were in the top five. Brown finished only three strokes behind Dustin Primm of Utah at the Wolf Pack Classic, and has a chance to win any tournament he is in. As stated by Bermel after last week’s tournament, it’s only a matter of time.

The Rams are also looking for another breakout performance by Aaron Weston, who tied for sixth place at the Wolf Pack Classic, the highest finish of his career.

After struggling last week by finishing tied for 61st, Derrick Whiting is looking to get back on track in Las Vegas. Whiting helped the Rams to a 10th place tie at the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate by finishing in the top-20 along with Brown.

The men’s team will be facing off against a 14 other teams, including Mountain West Conference rivals San Diego State, Wyoming and Utah.

Staff writer Craig Scholz can be reached at sports@collegian.com.