Banquet to combat hunger

More than 850 million people in the world suffer from hunger and about 30,000 children under the age of 5 die every day from malnourishment, according to Oxfam America.

On Tuesday, CSU will host its second annual Hunger Banquet.

The cost of the banquet, which is being sponsored by various on- and off-campus groups, is $6 dollars a person or one meal card swipe for students with a meal plan.

“You could spend $6 on a burger or you could spend $6 dollars and save a life,” said Bailey Hunter, a senior speech communication major. “The important thing about world hunger is even a penny will help.”

Students, faculty and community members are invited to attend the banquet in the Parmelee Dining Center from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. This event is put on to help create an awareness of world hunger and inform people about how they can be a part of the fight against global poverty.

Proceeds from the event go to Oxfam America, which is an international non-profit organization that campaigns to end hunger, poverty and social injustice in the world. According to its Web site, thousands of Americans have joined Oxfam’s fast to protest world hunger.

Dan Targoff, a junior chemistry major, said world hunger is something people should be aware of.

“It is a problem that is not prominent in America so people are pretty blind to it,” he said.

Attendance is limited and the deadline to register is today.

For more information on the banquet, contact Shauna DeLuca by e-mail at intled@colostate.edu or at 491-5917.

Staff writer Teresa O’Brien can be reached at news@collegian.com.