To the Editor:

On Trevor Sides’s article “America the terrible” in Thursday’s Collegian:

Mr. Sides claims “They (Peek, Gockel and Bray) would rather see America’s safety and survival jeopardized instead of encouraging the country’s fight against a dangerous enemy.”

This claim is so completely and utterly ridiculous that its absolute absurdity need not be pointed out to anyone not brainwashed by Bill O’Reilly. Is the War on Terror actually making anyone in America safer?

Mr. Sides also claims that if views like those held by Peek, Gockel and Bray “are ever converted into policy, the prairies of freedom will soon be flooded with something far worse than water.”

The president can now label ANYONE an “unlawful enemy combatant” for any reason and they can be held indefinitely, not to mention tortured legally. It seems to me that those views held by Mr. Sides are flooding those prairies as we speak.

While discussing the term “Islamo-fascist,” Mr. Sides quoted Michael Ledeen and labeled him an Italian historian. To better understand where Mr. Sides is coming from, one may wish to know about those he chooses to quote.

Ledeen is also known for his fascination with fascism, neocon theorizing, links to the forged Niger yellowcake documents and push for war with everyone.

“Paradoxically, preserving liberty may require the rule of a single leader, a dictator, willing to use those dreaded ‘extraordinary measures, which few know how, or are willing, to employ.” – Michael Ledeen

Perhaps Huey Long was correct when he said in 1932, “Fascism will come to America, but likely under another name, perhaps anti-fascism.”

Brandon Lehman

graduate student

civil engineering