CSU scored 14 points in a span of four minutes in the third quarter on its way to a 28-7 victory over Nevada-Las Vegas in the team’s first Mountain West Conference game of the season Saturday..

Junior quarterback Caleb Hanie scored on a nine-yard touchdown run in the third quarter to give CSU (4-1, 1-0) a lead it would never give back.

“I’m not that big of a juke guy like Johnny or Damon (Morton)… once I got to the two-yard line with a full head of steam I knew I was getting in,” said Hanie.

Hanie also completed a 64-yard touchdown pass to Morton later in the quarter– the longest play of the season for the Rams.

“It was a perfectly thrown ball and all I had to do was catch it,” said Morton.

The completion was one of 23 on the day for Hanie, a new personal best.

After playing to a 7-7 tie in the first half, Head Coach Sonny Lubick was pleased with how his team responded coming out of the locker room.

“I’m really proud of how our football team played in the second half,” said Lubick.

For the second consecutive game, the defense dominated its opposition, shutting out the Rebels in the second half.

“The defense played superbly,” said Lubick.

With a little less than nine minutes in the forth quarter, sophomore linebacker Jeff Horinek intercepted a pass on the Lobo 14-yard line and returned it for CSU’s first defensive touchdown of the season.

The score all but sealed the victory for the Rams.

“I was just surprised I caught it, it’s been a long time since I’ve had an interception,” said Horinek.

The CSU defense limited the Rebels to just 250 total yards.

“The attitude (of the defense) is just to play our game,” said sophomore safety Jake Galusha who had 4 tackles and a sack.

The victory improves coach Lubick’s record against UNLV (1-4, 0-1) to 10-1.

The win also places the Rams atop the Mountain West Conference as the only team with one loss.

CSU got on the scoreboard in the first quarter with a 2-yard touchdown run by sophomore Gartrell Johnson III.

The already beat up offensive line took another hit Saturday during the first quarter when right tackle Josh Day left the game with a high ankle sprain and did not return. Sophomore Dane Stratton replaced Day in the lineup.