Swinging back into dance

Authors: MICHELLE ZILIS The Rocky Mountain Collegian

“Little Bitty Pretty One” invites you to come celebrate the ’50s as she and the rest of the CSU Swing Dance Society kick up their heels once a week for a night of lessons and all-out dancing.

“We are open to anyone who wants to try it, and we offer beginning classes every week,” said Moriah Eberhard, a.k.a. “Little Bitty Pretty One” and a junior biology major.

Every Wednesday in the Lory Student Center, the club hosts a dance night with an hour of lessons followed by two hours of dancing. It guarantees a beginner and intermediate lesson each week and, depending on numbers, sometimes offers a third lesson for the more advanced.

“We tend to get a lot more people to come for the lessons part than the actual dancing,” said Eberhard, who is also the club’s public relations officer.

In addition, the club hosts larger dance events, such as Friday night’s, “Back in the Swing of Things.” The dance will have a DJ, the competitive team’s choreographer for lessons, and a Jack and Jill competition.

At the Jack and Jill competition, dancers enter as an individual and switch partners throughout the competition.

The club is expecting at least 150 people for “Back in the Swing of Things.” On normal swing nights, 50 to 100 people generally attend.

“Back in the Swing of Things” will have more of a vintage feel than the average night, Eberhard said, as many of the regulars will dress up in costume. However, like all nights, the club encourages dancers to wear comfortable clothes.

The club’s Web site boasts that the club teaches a wide range of swing dances, covering everything from the jitterbug to shag and boogie. There is no need for previous experience or partners.

The lesson plans vary and grow on each other every week. CSU students on the competitive swing team teach the lessons.

The competitive swing dance team, Blam!, is comprised of many advanced members of the Swing Dance Society. Blam! performs at school functions, and this past summer it took third at an invitational competition in Los Angeles.

The team also participates in the “Intercollegiate Swing Battle,” in which it has taken the cup for the previous two years.

The team must defend its title this year at Northern Colorado from its biggest rivals, the Colorado-Boulder JitterBuffs.

Staff writer Michelle Zilis can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

______________________________________

“Back in the Swing of Things”

Friday, Sept. 29, 2006

Main Ballroom

$3/students, $4/non-students

Lessons from 7-8 p.m., dancing 8-11 p.m., competition at 9 p.m.

www.csuswing.org

Every Wednesday night: 7:15-10:30 p.m. in LSC