Authors: CRAIG SCHOLZ The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Zen Brown finished in second place as his sensational play led the men’s golf team to a third place finish Tuesday at the Wolf Pack Classic.

Brown’s second place showing marks his highest finish at CSU and extends his streak of placing in the top 10 to three. This is also Brown’s second top-five finish of the year, which he earned after shooting all three rounds under par, including his low round of 67.

Head Coach Jamie Bermel said Brown had a solid performance and it’s only a matter of time until he wins a tournament.

“He has a chance to go out and win each week,” Bermel said. “He is getting real close.”

Aaron Weston also finished in the top-10 by shooting rounds of 70, 72 and 69. Weston tied for sixth-place overall and his three-round score of 211 marks his career tournament low.

The Rams earned a three-round total score of 855, 13 strokes behind first place Iowa State. The individual crown went to Dustin Primm of Utah, who shot rounds of 66, 66 and 73.

Bermel thought the team had an average performance during the tournament and was hurt mostly by mental mistakes, which is something that the team is aiming to fix for the upcoming matches.

“When the mental mistakes are eliminated we could win easy,” Bermel said.

The men’s team will play again at the District 7 Shoot-Out on Oct. 9-10 in San Diego.

Staff writer Craig Scholz can be reached at sports@collegian.com.