Authors: Lauren Wright Sagebrush U.NevadaReno

(U-WIRE) RENO, Nev. – Condoms. They’re rubber hats that were around as early as 1000 B.C. when the Romans used linen for protection from diseases. They were also used in the 1700s in Europe to prevent a king from having one-too-many illegitimate children.

Today, we use them to protect us from the very same things they were concerned about more than 3,000 years ago: disease and pregnancy. Let’s just be thankful we’re not using cloth or intestine any longer.

A national study done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that 79.5 percent of college students have had sex. This backs up my idea that we do go a little wild and crazy when we get a little freedom under our belt.

That could be why sexually transmitted diseases are on the rise among college students. According to a Web site for the Pleasure Plus condom (which, I might add, looks true to its name) the reduction of pleasure is the No. 1 reason why people don’t like condoms. I won’t argue against that. However, in this day and age there are condoms designed with pleasure in mind. Thin ones that feel like skinless skin, ribbed for her pleasure, lubed for mutual pleasure, even ones that prolong premature ejaculators. We are in the midst of a “condom revolution”, so we might as well rise up and join in, right?

If you’re anything like me, you might be annoyed with the slight inconvenience that accompanies the use of condoms. Having to stop, locate a condom and put it on can really put a hamper on that passionate foreplay going on. Sometimes guys even lose their erection due to that pause. Here’s a little information for you to chew on. The majority of women polled in Glamour magazine think the condom is the guy’s responsibility. While I agree that we pay for birth control, so the least guys can do is buy an $8 pack of condoms, I don’t think they’re always responsible for putting it on themselves. I’ve found that most girls let the guy do it. Maybe it’s my strong independent woman upbringing, but I’ve always taken the wheel when it comes to condoms. It becomes a form of foreplay if done right. I’ve prided myself on a one-handed technique that allows the other hand to roam about to other pleasurable areas while putting a condom on. Instead of it feeling like a chore, it is now incorporated into foreplay. Beware, ladies: Take this advice lightly. I can see how this could be a bit intimidating, or even give a guy the idea that a girl gets around. Maybe that’s the reason that 40 percent of women don’t know how to use a condom. Seriously, the Smarter Sex Survey says that 40 percent of women don’t know how to use a condom, compared to only 13 percent of males.

To not know how to use a condom is like not knowing how to use a toothbrush — it’s that important. If we don’t use a toothbrush the possibilities of gum disease and gingivitis are endless. It’s the same with condoms: Not using one increases the chance of contracting several diseases and the baby virus. It’s a good idea to become familiar with that rubbery hat and how to put it on and wear it properly. There are plenty of Web sites that provide animated instructions. Remember to unroll it in the right direction, get it all the way on and to make sure there’s a little bubble on the end. Don’t forget that you’re now a part of the condom revolution. Viva no diseases and unwanted pregnancy!