Authors: Stephanie Gerlach The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Early birds mark your calendars because the 26th annual Homecoming 5K Race is just around the corner. Even if waking up with the sun is not your normal routine, this race is worth it because it not only helps participants stay healthy but it also helps raise money for a good cause.

The race will start at 7:45 a.m. Saturday at the Oval. Runners and walkers of all ages and abilities are welcome, including students, faculty, alumni, families and community members. Everyone is encouraged to exercise in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

The Department of Health and Exercise Science and the Student Wellness Club sponsor the race.

“We try to recruit as many folks as possible to get involved because everyone should start the day in a healthy way,” said Sheri Linnell, race founder and a health and exercise instructor.

There will be two different courses offered for children – one for those age 7 and under and one for children 8 to 12 years old. All youth will receive ribbons for their involvement. Also, following the 5K is the Kids Fun Run, led by Cam the Ram at 8:45 a.m.

Other groups from around the community will participate in the race, including the Attack Pack, a group of heart patients who exercise together, and some elementary school groups.

Some of the residence halls are also getting involved in this event.

“It wasn’t difficult to sell it to the residents,” said Cassidy Isch, a senior sports medicine major and resident assistant. “I kind of threw it out there and they all

wanted to do it.”

Around 1,300 people participated in 2005 – more than half were students.

“We’re hoping for more than 1,200 participants, and so far the number of entries are a little higher than this point last year,” Linnell said.

For people registering late, there is a $4 procrastination fee on top of the $23 fee. Groups of 20 or more who sign up get $2 off each participant. The sponsors plan to use this as a method to draw in larger groups.

“The race is the primary fundraiser for the department. We’re trying to build two new classroom spaces and the money will come into play for that,” said Brian Butki, director of activities in the Department of Health and Exercise Science.

Race participants can park at the Lory Student Center lot. The CSU Oval is scheduled to be closed Saturday morning in all directions until the conclusion of the race.

The proceeds will go to support the Heart Disease Prevention Program of the Human Performance Clinical/Research Lab.

“I want my residents to have a good time. They’ll get to meet new people and have a common connection due to the race,” Isch said. “I plan to use this (race) in the program next year. It’s a great event and it’s a tradition.”

Staff writer Stephanie Gerlach can be reached at news@collegian.com.

——————-

What: Homecoming 5K Race

When: Saturday, Sept. 7

Homecoming 5K race 7:45 a.m.

Kids Fun Run 8:45 am.

Where: CSU Oval