Authors: JEFF DILLON The Rocky Mountain Collegian

After 16 straight victories over Wyoming, the Rams knew they would face a team desperate for a win on Sunday in Laramie, Wyo.

In the end, the feisty Cowgirls (8-5, 2-2) couldn’t match the strength of the Rams, and CSU extended the win streak over its rival to 17.

The first two games of the match were tight, but the Rams (8-6, 3-2) were clearly superior from that point on. The Cowgirls were plagued by errors, totaling 40 for the match.

Much of that had to do with the Rams’ defense, which came up with a season-high 26 blocks on the day.

It was a career day for sophomore setter Ashley Fornstrom, who posted her first triple-double for the Rams. Fornstrom finished with 53 assists, 14 blocks and 10 digs in the Rams’ victory.

The team also got a spark from sophomore middle blocker Mekana Barnes, who is still nursing an ankle injury that has slowed her down for the last several weeks. Barnes played sparingly through the match but finished with five blocks, including several that were key in the decisive game four.

Senior middle blocker Andrea Seele with 14 kills led Wyoming, which is off to an impressive start after six straight losing seasons in Mountain West play. Junior outside hitter Rachel Smith had 13 kills and nine digs for the Cowgirls.

The scrappy effort from Wyoming was never enough to deter the Rams, who have won three straight conference matches after dropping their first two.

Up next for CSU volleyball will be a non-conference match at 7 p.m. against Denver on Wednesday at Moby Arena. The team will return to Mountain West competition on Friday when it travels to Colorado Springs to take on Air Force.

Staff writer Jeff Dillon can be reached sports@collegian.com.