Love of CSU spawns MyCSU

Authors: Amy Robinson The Rocky Mountain Collegian

In a world where people crave celebrities like mocha frappuccinos, MyCSU is helping brew up a fresh batch of instant celebs.

Campus celebrities, that is.

They may not own million dollar homes or walk around with personal assistants, but they are stars nonetheless. And they have Alex Mitchell – the Steven Spielberg of college documentaries – to thank.

Mitchell is an intern at the President’s Office. The 21-year-old sociology and pre-medicine double major started working on his dream project a year ago.

“My original proposal was to go to area high schools and recruit students to come to Colorado State University,” Mitchell said. “It’s the same idea. I love CSU and I wanted to share how I feel about the school with other people.”

MyCSU highlights various people and experiences at CSU and is composed of a series of videos, blogs, articles and photos, according to its Web site.

The goal is to “show students what the world looks like from other’s viewpoints and to showcase the opportunities available to them as part of a globally connected university like Colorado State.”

One way the intern said he hopes to display diversity is by examining a variety of programs.

That’s where Ravi Singaraju comes in. The senior mechanical engineering student’s video debuted last month.

“I was surprised and honored when they asked me to serve as an exemplary student at CSU,” he said. “It was awesome.”

Singaraju added he thinks the profiles on MyCSU are a great idea because they allow perspective students to get a more personal look at the university.

An added bonus of Singaraju’s appearance is all the face time he has chalked up, he said.

“My friends and family watched the video,” he said. “It’s good, funny and informative.”

But not all students were so enthusiastic.

Courtney Kimhan, a freshman open-option major, said she thinks it’s simply the university’s way of trying to keep up with technology.

“It’s a fad,” she said.

Even so, Kimhan said she would probably check it out.

Mitchell was humble about the creation of MyCSU, which received 5,000 hits its first week. The intern said he is pleased with the product so far.

He described his role in the project as being a liaison between the different campus groups involved in the project.

“Everyone was a piece of the puzzle,” he said, noting that many different offices from around the university helped make the Web site a reality.

The intern said he hopes this is only the beginning for MyCSU.

In the future, he would like to highlight athletes and create a blog for students studying abroad. The Web site will be updated every two to three weeks.

Mitchell encouraged students to send photographs of themselves in their CSU gear while participating in activities around Fort Collins. Pictures may be sent to mycsu@colostate.edu.

“Our goal is to keep the project going,” he said. “We are already planning how to pass it on to another intern (when I graduate in the spring).”

Staff writer Amy Robinson can be reached at news@collegian.com.

—————————

To learn more about MyCSU or submit photos, visit mycsu.colostate.edu.