Authors: BEN AAKER The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Used coat donations will get customers free pizza and sneaker discounts during this month’s “Pizza and Pumps” coat drive.

Abo’s Pizza and Payless Shoe Source joined forces for the month of October to collect coats for The Salvation Army along the Front Range. The coats will be distributed to Coloradans in need when the cold weather begins to hit the state.

This time of the year, The Salvation Army’s coat supply is typically low and the reserves need to be replenished quickly to service the surge of demand expected in the fall and winter months, according to Roger Miller, the divisional director of public relations and community relations for the Salvation Army.

“Living in Colorado, trying to get through a winter time without any coat can be a life-threatening experience for some folks,” Miller said. “We are very grateful for the help because you can never get enough coats to help the communities out there.”

Responding to the call for help, Abo’s Pizza and Payless Shoe Source have agreed to pitch in by offering incentives for their customers to donate coats.

The Salvation Army coat barrels will be placed at 15 Abo’s Pizza locations across the Front Range including Fort Collins. Each person who donates a coat at a participating Abo’s location will receive one free slice of pizza.

This is the third year in a row that Abo’s has hosted a coat drive, and people involved look forward to surpassing past years’ numbers.

“In 2004, we collected 1,040 coats for The Salvation Army and we would like to exceed that number this year. Coats that are in good condition are needed, especially children’s coats,” said Steve Abo, president of Abo’s Pizza Inc., in a statement.

Suzanne Bowland, a public relations coordinator for Abo’s Pizza, recognizes the opportunity that Abo’s has to help the community.

“A lot of people don’t necessarily think of coat donation,” she said. “Tying it in with something like this, however, brings more attention to the need and gives people an opportunity to get involved with the community at a grassroots level.”

Payless Shoe Source will also have donation barrels in 22 metro area locations. Each person who donates a coat at Payless will receive a 5 percent discount on his or her purchase.

Organizers of the Pizza and Pumps Coat Drive hope to collect nearly 1,500 coats for distribution to the needy, according to a statement released by The Salvation Army.

The coats will be distributed to men, women and children of the community by means of The Salvation Army’s family services and shelters.

Some students have already made plans to take advantage of the opportunity to give back to their community.

“I’m excited to know that something that has been hanging in my closet for years can bring warmth and comfort to another in need,” said Anna Meenan, a sophomore technical journalism major. “I definitely plan on donating and hope that several others will do so as well.”

Staff writer Ben Aaker can be reached at news@collegian.com.

————————–

To donate coats:

Abo’s Pizza

200 W. Prospect Rd.

Payless Shoe Source

215 E. Foothills Parkway

1275 E. Magnolia St.