Authors: CRAIG SCHOLZ The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The men’s and women’s golf teams are back in action Monday as both are looking to continue their impressive starts.

On the women’s side, the team is hoping to see another great performance by junior Chelsea Benton, who is following up her third place finish at the Ron Moore Invitational. Benton said the team’s main goal for the Heather Farr/CU Memorial Invitational is just to stay focused.

“We just want to focus on staying in the present and not looking too far ahead,” Benton said. “We’re just trying to keep it simple.”

Benton was enthusiastic about the team and has plenty of confidence that it can break through and win a tournament.

“I think we can absolutely win first place,” Benton said. “This team is loaded with talent.”

The women will be facing a 16-team field, which includes Colorado-Boulder, Fresno State and Hawaii among others, at the par-72 Omni Interlocken Golf Club in Broomfield.

The men’s team will be playing in Reno, Nev., at the Wolf Pack Classic where it will be looking to extend its streak of top-10 finishes to three.

The men are coming off a tenth place finish at the Tucker Intercollegiate where Zen Brown and Derrick Whiting both placed in the top 20, and where Brown was able to match his third-lowest round score of 68.

Since the beginning of the season Brown has led the team with a 71.50 stroke average and is currently fourth in the Mountain West Conference in the category.

The Rams will be taking on an 18-team field, three of which will be from the Mountain West Conference on the par-72, 7,100-yard Wolf Run Golf Course.

Staff writer Craig Scholz can be reached at sports@collegian.com.