Authors: Nick Hubel

The Rams women’s cross country team took second place overall at the Rocky Mountain Shootout in Boulder on Saturday, finishing only 18 points behind the No. 2 team in the country, Colorado-Boulder.

Senior Nicole Feest, who finished the 5.8-kilometer race in 21:24, led the Rams. Junior April Thomas finished second for the Rams and eighth overall with a time of 21:36. The Rams had six runners in the top 25 and finished with 38 points overall, 49 points ahead of third-place Wyoming.

“We put up a fair fight (against CU-Boulder) I think. It was good to see where we are at,” Thomas said. “We just need to keep on working on running as a team.”

Head Coach Brian Berryhill said the meet would be a great confidence builder for the Pre-National meet two weeks from now, because the Rams will not see a team as good as CU-Boulder when they get there.

“Anytime you face the number two ranked team in the country it is going to be a challenge,” Berryhill said. “I think we stepped up and answered the challenge.”

The Rams women are currently ranked 24th overall in the nation and second in the Mountain West behind BYU.

“Our girls are doing a great job of working hard and staying consistent all year,” Berryhill said.

The Rams men’s and women’s cross country teams will be off next week before returning to competition at the Pre-National meet in Terre Haute, Ind., on Oct. 14.

Staff writer Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com.