To the Editor

First of all, I’d like to thank the Collegian’s editorial board for

their opinion headline “Mistakes of few make all Greeks look bad.” A majority of the people not in fraternities and sororities don’t realize that most, if not all, Greek organizations are founded on a basis of establishing a bond between students and helping the community.

That being said, shame on you Collegian. Shame on you for taking a story about an underage drinker and turning it into a Sam Spady memorial piece. Imagine my confusion when I looked at the Collegian on Sept. 27, only to find a Sam Spady timeline. True, this was a terrible moment in the history of the University, but – and I know this sounds heartless – all incidents of alcohol on campus are not an excuse to bring up that particular story.

Underage drinking is not a rare occurrence on any college campus, and neither is detoxification. It happens multiple times a month (pay attention to the campus blotter and you’ll see what I mean). However, this story is given special treatment because it happened in a fraternity house, which is not right. I feel bad for the girl, because whereas other detox patients get a small place in the campus blotter that is barely mentioned, this girl made headlines on the front page more than once.

Perhaps the newspaper should consider printing headlines responsibly, rather than trying to cause a scandal.

Brian Lancaster

sophomore

open option

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

On Wednesday, a rather flattering article was written about my good friend Jens and I being vocal safe sex activists. While I thank the Collegian for the coverage of FREE activists, I would like to point out that the majority of credit for the safe sex education action should be handed to our friends in VOX, campus feminist alliance and he volunteers at Planned Parenthood.

While FREE is a vocal advocate for safe sex and womyn’s rights, the aforementioned groups do much more to support the movement for a just, safe and equal world for womyn to live. I would like to thank them and all who supported us over the past three days.

Ian Overton

senior

political science major