Authors: NICK HUBEL The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The Mountain West Conference named Jeremy Freed the men’s cross-country runner of the week on Wednesday. Freed, a red shirt open-option freshman, earned the award for his 27th overall performance at the Roy Griak Invitational in Minnesota last weekend.

Freed covered the eight kilometer course in 25:24.55, a personal best that led the Rams to a 16th overall finish. Head Coach Brian Berryhill said the award should give Freed and the team confidence going into the Pre-National meet on Oct. 14.

“It is always a great accomplishment to be honored by your conference, especially being such a young guy,” Berryhill said.

On the women’s side, the Rams are set to compete in the Rocky Mountain Shootout in Boulder on Saturday. The meet will feature teams from all over Colorado, including Colorado-Boulder, School of Mines, Northern Colorado, Metro State and Mesa State. Wyoming, North Dakota and Ohio will also attend.

Junior biology major and team member April Thomas said the team is excited to compete against its rival, as well as some of the other smaller schools around the state. But she also said this is not the most important meet of the year.

“Of course there is some nervousness, CU is a really good team,” she said, “but this is just a stepping stone. Our main goal is (Pre-Nationals).”

Berryhill said the rivalry should help to bring out the best in the runners.

“Anytime you run against CU there is a bit of a rivalry,” he said. “They are all extremely excited about it and looking forward to going down there. I think you’ll see some good things out of them this weekend.”

The meet starts at 11 a.m. at the Buffalo Ranch Cross Country Course in Boulder.

Staff writer Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com.