To the editor:

In Defense of the CSU Greeks

As a proud CSU and Greek alumnus I am concerned that your reporters are not asking the right questions when they report the news. In Tuesday’s article titled, “University investigates Sigma Alpha Epsilon” there were a variety of fallacies that should have prevented the article from reaching print. First, no statements or accounts from the university, no personal accounts of anyone there on the night in question and most noticeably no statements made from the girl or her family. Secondly, if this incident is under investigation what makes it front-page news when it is not timely and occurred weeks ago? It is not like excessive drinking is a new headline to CSU.

It alarms me to see the Collegian has moved into tabloid speculation on a story with very few facts and only figure pointing. When a single group can be ostracized for the actions of a few, it is not only irresponsible but also contributes to our society’s infatuation with putting people on pedestals and then knocking them off. The CSU administration has numerously praised the Greek community for the positive impacts they have made in the Fort Collins community. Last year SAE raised money and awareness for the Larimer Humane Society yet it only garnered page six news in the Collegian. It included statements made by all parties and had a positive impact.

I hope this letter encourages your staff to report on stories with more worth. Why not investigate to see how out of control drinking occurs in the dorms? Or what makes people binge drink? These stories may have positive impacts to our community that may help reduce the number of alcohol poisoning incidents that occur. Both Greeks and CSU aim to make the individual, the university and society a better place. This speculative article only drives a wedge between them. I can only hope the Greek community bands together with the university to help curb binge drinking and that this young woman can be held accountable and responsible for her actions and not place them onto people with more money than she has.

Sheehan Meagher

CSU alumnus

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Good news for Hemenway

In Tuesday’s Collegian, Nick Hemenway said, “Let’s hope that the next Ronald Reagan is on the ballot this November.”

Well, I have good news for you, Nick. One of President Ronald

Reagan’s appointees is running for U.S. Congress in our own congressional district!

Eric Eidsness is a Vietnam veteran who was appointed by Ronald Reagan to a position with the Environmental Protection Agency, where he served from 1981 to 1987. Eidsness is a fiscal conservative, favors a smaller government and calls for strict immigration reform. Finally, his work under Reagan was praised by “The Gipper” himself in a letter that can be found on Eidsness’ Web site.

Eidsness faces tough competition from Angie Paccione and Marilyn Musgrave.

Anyone who is proud of the accomplishments of Reagan’s presidency should vote for Eric Eidsness this fall.

Brian Murphy

graduate student

chemistry