Authors: Brett Okamoto The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The Rams are back in game mode after taking a break from the field this weekend during their bye.

The team went back to the basics after a disappointing 28-10 loss to Nevada on the road. After dominating both their opponents in the first two weeks of the season, the Rams are focusing on gaining some consistency after falling apart on both sides of the ball.

“It seems like a long time since we’ve played a game,” said Head Coach Sonny Lubick. “On offense we need to make up our mind and get it done. (Lack of) consistency has hurt us.”

While neither side played well during the Nevada loss, the offense especially struggled, being held to no touchdowns for the entire game.

“We didn’t come out physical and they jumped on us,” said receiver Johnny Walker. “It was frustrating, we’re a lot better then that. We felt like we let the defense down.”

The biggest concern for the offense remains the stagnant ground game. Quarterback Caleb Hanie was the leading rusher for the team in Nevada.

Collectively the Rams were held to 64 rushing yards.

“Everybody, from the receivers to the offensive line need to have that nasty mentality to finish their guy,” Walker said. “We need to get them down in the dirt. That way if we do run the ball those guys are letting up and we can make the big plays.”

Defensively, the Rams continue to focus on stopping the run game and forcing teams to throw into their dangerous secondary.

“I think we found out we weren’t as good as we thought we were,” said safety Klint Kubiak. “Any time a team puts up those kind of numbers on you it’s an eye opener. Now we can either sulk about it or try to get back up there.”

The Rams will run through a light practice today in their preparation for a tough road matchup against Fresno State. The game is set for Saturday night at 7 p.m. It will not be televised.

Quote of the Day

“We beat CU and then they went and almost beat Georgia. Football is football, and anyone can beat anyone on any given day.”

Klint Kubiak, on playing Fresno State this weekend who beat Nevada, the team that beat the Rams in their last game.

Injury Report

Receiver Dustin Osborn (left ankle) and center Tim Walter (right knee) got to see limited practice this week but remain questionable for Saturday’s game. Defensive end Tommie Hill (concussion) practiced without pads Wednesday and is listed as probable. Safety Ben Stratton (neck) is seeing specialists today on an injury that has bothered him since the season opener against Weber State. He is doubtful for Saturday.

Staff writer Brett Okamoto can be reached at sports@collegian.com