To the Editor:

My husband and I hosted a “get to know the candidate” party for Randy Fischer who is running for Colorado House District 53. Randy talked to our group about the importance of higher education and the need to make it affordable to all students.

He is knowledgeable about pressing issues such as health care, clean water and air, our natural environment, a healthy economy and fiscal responsibility. Randy earned two degrees from CSU. He is a professional engineer and business owner and a life-long resident of Fort Collins.

He knows and cares about our district. Randy Fischer would serve the state of Colorado well and will represent all of us in District 53 with integrity and ingenuity.

Barbara Gotshall

Fort Collins resident

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

Classifying Christians as being as much of a threat as radical Islam is outrageous. Since when did Bible-thumping become a weapon of mass destruction? In all the cases described by Ryan Speaker in his column, Christians were exercising their right to free speech – as was Rosie O’Donnell. None of these expressions of individual opinion is threatening or harmful to democracy, although they may be irresponsible.

Let us compare radical Islam with that of “radical” Christianity. Christians fervently work to overturn Roe v. Wade to protect innocent human life.

Radical Muslims slaughter the innocent through suicide bombing and other atrocious acts of terrorism. Christians call for an apology when a statement attacks or offends them. Radical Muslims riot, firebomb churches and butcher nuns. Christians attempt to block homosexual relationships from receiving privileged status under the law. Radical Muslims kill practicing homosexuals in their countries because it is against their laws.

So who is dangerous to American democracy, Bible-thumpers or mass murderers? Ryan Speaker seems to point the finger at anyone who professes an opinion opposing his own. Speaker’s column and O’Donnell’s comments are anti-Christian, irresponsible and unfounded. But I certainly would not go so far as to say they are as dangerous as Islamic terrorism – that would be outrageous.

Ryan Olivett

senior

economics and political science major