Man shot near campus

Authors: JAMES BAETKE The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Police are searching for two college-age suspects who allegedly shot and robbed a man Sunday night two blocks from campus.

Jason O’Donnell, 31, was shot once in the hand after a scuffle with two males along the alley that backs up to Avogadro’s Number, 605 S. Mason.

Police responded at about 11:50 p.m. to 911 calls reporting possible shots fired.

Mark Patterson, a nearby resident, heard the gunshot and immediately ran outside to find O’Donnell lying in a pool of blood, being beaten by two men, apparently after being shot.

“One of the perps was just beating his head in,” Patterson said, a 27-year-old acquaintance of the victim. “At this point, I am furious and I’m yelling at them to stop.”

After he scared them off, Patterson said, the alleged attackers ran north along the alley. Police describe the suspects as white males 20 to 24 years old, wearing blue jeans and gray T-shirts. One male was wearing a black baseball cap.

“I almost grabbed my samurai sword, but that’s no match to a gun,” Patterson said.

Another witness, Kim Ramirez, said she knew immediately a gunshot had been fired mere feet from her apartment window because of her recent stint in the Army.

“I heard a lot of screaming and called the police,” she said.

Rob Osborne, owner of Avo’s – the nickname among the eatery’s regular patrons – said he wants to make clear the crime has nothing to do with his restaurant and bar.

“It had nothing to do with us,” he said. “I don’t even know why we are being named in the press.”

Patterson said it didn’t appear to him that this was a “regular armed robbery.”

“I used to see this s*** in Detroit all the time,” he said. “Now it’s in my backyard.”

Staff writer James Baetke can be reached at news@collegian.com.