Authors: NICK HUBEL The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The men’s cross country team was back in action Saturday, finishing 16th at the 21st annual Roy Griak Invitational in Minneapolis, Minn. In a field of more than 35 Division-1 teams, including last year’s NCAA champion Wisconsin, the Rams finished first among all Mountain West teams at the event.

The Rams had high hopes coming into the event, having finished sixth overall two years ago. Head Coach Brian Berryhill said that he was disappointed with the result, but that the experience was a positive one.

“It isn’t where I’d like us to be [in the standings],” Berryhill said. “But we had a couple of good performances.”

Leading the Rams was redshirt freshman Jeremy Freed, who finished 27th overall with a time of 25:24.55 for the eight kilometer race.

The Rams scored a total of 384 points, 243 behind first place Arizona.

“We were all pretty disappointed with the result,” Freed said. “But all the guys needed this experience because it will help us when we get to Pre-Nationals.”

The team, who was picked to finish third in the Mountain West in the preseason, was able to beat the second ranked team in the conference, Air Force, by 243 points. It was one positive in a long day for the team.

“I hope they learn from their mistakes and come back,” Berryhill said. “We look for better days here in the future.”

The women’s cross country team will travel to Boulder next week for the Rocky Mountain Shootout on Sept. 30. The men’s next meet will be the Pre-Nationals in Indiana on Oct. 14.

Staff writer Nick Hubel can be reached at sports@collegian.com.