To the Editor

Marilyn Musgrave has been relentlessly attacking Angie Paccione with ads that lie about Paccione’s position on illegal immigration. It seems that Musgrave’s only course in trying to defend her pathetic record in Congress is to make up lies about her opponent.

For those who would like to know the truth, check out Angie’s illegal immigration views on her Web site, www.angie2006.com:

“In the Colorado legislature, I helped pass the strongest illegal immigration laws in the country. I’m against amnesty of any kind. We must enforce our illegal immigration laws, hold employers accountable who hire illegal workers, and secure our borders. The 9/11 Commission recommended a comprehensive border and port security plan that we can no longer afford to ignore.”

Does this sound like someone, as Musgrave is sadly attempting to portray, who is “soft” on illegal immigration?

Don’t believe those lying ads made up by an obviously desperate Musgrave. Vote for Paccione in November!

Steve Porter

Livermore

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I am writing this letter in response to the deep resonance felt in my soul regarding the musings of one Mr. Kevin Dudley. For one reason or another his words seem to touch me in an area somewhere below my heart but above my pancreas.

When Kevin feels so compelled to open up his soul, in such a way as he did with his article regarding the state of disarray of the lemonade stand industry, I feel the same way about him as I do about Mahatma Ghandi or Jack Daniels, only with much more frequency.

I applaud you for your decision to hire a man of such great vision, for the visionaries are rarely appreciated in their time and almost never accepted.

Jeffrey Lee Ake

CSU Dropout ’06

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

The Collegian Board insists it’s acting in the interest of healthy debate in its editorial “Devil’s Advocate” (Thursday).

But, its arguments, like those the president employs all too often, simply ignore larger truths while distorting hard cold facts – all to present a rosy scenario of today’s post 9/11 world.

1) True, Saddam Hussein is on trial for killing tens of thousands of citizens. But invading a country while killing tens of thousands more civilians does not justify bringing one man to justice.

It’s not only a Machiavellian argument; it’s also not a sustainable foreign policy. Are we now going to invade China, Sudan, Cuba, Burma and Kazakhstan?

2) Bush did have the highest rating of any president in the days after 9/11. But the country didn’t rally behind him because of what he did. It rallied behind him because of what the terrorists did. We, as a people, would have rallied behind anyone in the White House after suffering the worst terrorist attack in our history.

The President, in fact, did just the opposite – he’s left the country deeply divided while squandering the world’s goodwill that we enjoyed in the days after 9/11. Now, five years later, we are hated more than ever across the globe. And you could argue more at risk.

3) Your “No Child Left Behind” argument is a diversion and simply ignores the larger debate about why so many people believe President Bush is the “devil” determined to run the world.

You then conclude by saying no one will know how history will view Bush’s presidency. But in the very next sentence you then pretend to have magical insight about a world under John Kerry. Interesting.

Ethan Kiss

Collegian Reader

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

Re: Bush’s Thoughts

To those who have become distressed over the political cartoon in Wednesday’s paper depicting George Bush’s thoughts:

Since when in U.S. history has any political cartoon been favorable to that time’s current president? Never. Every president has been ridiculed. It’s part of free speech. Cherish it! You will get your turn once there is a non-Republican president.

Let’s just hope that whoever is next is more responsible with foreign policy than the current.

In regards to the cartoon, I am personally offended that Bush’s head is depicted as large as it is (joke-y-poo). Seriously though, we all need to laugh once in a while. It will do us some good.

Gabe Case

junior

interior design major