Authors: TIFFANY HEIEN

The Jewish holiday Rosh Hashana begins tonight at sundown, but the festivities started Thursday with the making of a ram’s horn trumpet – the shofar – outside the Lory Student Center.

“The shofar is one of the most important symbols of the Jewish religion,” Rabbi Yerachmiel Gorelik said. “It’s a cry out to the soul to repent, to resolve to do good deeds and become closer to God.”

A shofar is a trumpet-like instrument blown on the Jewish holidays Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. On Rosh Hashana the horn is blown at the end of the holiday, signaling the acceptance and repentance of the year’s deeds.

Gorelik and co-presidents of CSU’s Chabad, Sage Morris-Green and Dan Limbert, set up the booth and were making shofars as well as raffling them off to students.

A shofar is made with the horn of a kosher animal after the animal has already been slaughtered. The horn is boiled and then the marrow is pulled out to make the horn hollow. After that, the end is cut off and a hole is drilled to complete the tunnel.

“It’s not easy making a shofar,” Gorelik said to Limbert as they sawed off the end of the horn, “if you do it wrong you won’t get that beautiful sound.”

After the hole is drilled, Limbert forced a short wail from the horn.

“That’s a good shofar,” Limbert added.

“To me it’s an audio reminder of all the aspects of the holidays,” Morris-Green said about the shofar. “Personally, it’s a really refreshing sound.”

Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, marks the start of the “High Holidays” of Judaism, ending on Yom Kippur, Oct. 2.

“This is a time when we look inside ourselves, think about what we have been doing with our lives and assess where we want to go from here,” said Hedy Berman, director of Hillel, a campus-based group for Jewish students.

Hillel will be holding dinner and services tonight starting at 5:30 p.m. Dinner will be held in the Longs Peak dining room, followed by services at 7 p.m. in room 213 of the Lory Student Center.

Chabad Jewish Center of Northern Colorado will also have services tonight for Rosh Hashanah at 6:30 p.m., followed by dinner at the Chabad Jewish Center of Fort Collins.

Staff writer Tiffany Heien can be reached at news@collegian.com.

_______________________________________

Hillel Holiday Services:

Friday: Erev Rosh Hashana dinner at 5:30 p.m. in the Longs Peak dining room of the Lory Student Center.

Services in room 213 of the LSC at 7 p.m.

Saturday: Carpool to services. Meet at 8:30 a.m. in library parking lot.

Reflective meditation hike 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Meet in library parking lot.

Sunday: Carpool to services. Meet at 8:30 a.m. in library parking lot.

Tashlich services and dessert at 3:00 p.m. at the West Lawn of LSC.

Chabad Jewish Center of Northern Colorado High Holiday Services:

Friday: Services at 6:30 p.m. followed by dinner.

Saturday: Morning services at 9:30 a.m. followed by lunch.

Evening services at 7:30 p.m. followed by dinner.

Sunday: Morning services at 9:30 a.m.

Shofar blowing at 11:30 a.m. followed by lunch and Tashlich service.