‘MyCSU is Gangsta’

Authors: Anne Farrell

Monday morning I received an e-mail directing me to “MyCSU,” a graffiti-styled Web site focused on you, the involved, intriguing and interesting students attending our distinguished university.

Initially I assumed this was a joke, or even better some type of advertising ploy sent by yet another ingenious spammer disguising his or herself as a legitimate university organization.

Within several minutes, I had already witnessed all the Web site (mycsu.colostate.edu) had to offer: a story vault and video archive and a photo gallery full of random pictures of people I don’t know.

When looking at the “About MyCSU” button this was the explanation I received for this hodgepodge of Ram Pride: “The goal of MyCSU is to show students what the world looks like from other’s viewpoints and to showcase the opportunities available to them as part of a globally connected university like Colorado State. Together, these stories make up the vibrant, exciting community of CSU.”

Ah, so what I’m hearing is this is a publicity blitz, or maybe even better yet, a recruitment tool and we, the students, are needed to make it successful. Gotcha.

There isn’t much to offer current students, aside from showy graphics and the possibility of gaining our own personal 15 minutes of fame.

I’m slightly disappointed that I bought into the e-mail, believing that “MyCSU” was something interesting, maybe even useful – perhaps a graphically driven, sound-infused version of RamPoint.

It’s understandable that CSU needs help to prove what involved, intelligent, community focused students it fosters, and the best way to do that is through promoting the students themselves. For that matter, more power to all of those showcased on the Web site: They work their tails off for projects they are involved in. That doesn’t, however, make “MyCSU” any more beneficial to me.

Maybe I’m just grumpy because I stupidly clicked into an e-mail that most everyone else deleted without reading. Maybe I’m jealous that I don’t have any uber-cool pictures to send in for presentation to potential future Rams.

Or maybe, just maybe, “MyCSU” is a silly idea.

When it comes right down to it, I don’t care about “YourCSU” anymore than you care about mine. If I wanted to look at people I don’t know having fun at a football game I would browse stalker.com, (cough) I mean Facebook, and have tons of random people at my disposal along with any contact information I would desire.

So good job at trying to be hip with your graffiti logo CSU. It does look pretty “Gangsta.” But next time you launch a new Web site, try to make it something we can use.

Anne Farrell is a junior technical journalism major. Her column runs occasionally in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.