Authors: Marissa HuttonGavel

Collegiate Broadcasters Inc. announced this week that both the university TV and radio stations are national finalists for the 2006 CBI National Student Production.

“A lot of people put their efforts into this,” said Julie Sandidge, Campus Television News and Public Affairs adviser. “It’s long overdue.”

CTV is a finalist in the “Best Technical Production,” “Promo,” “PSA,” “Sportscast,” “Newscast” and “Documentary/Public Affairs” categories for the segments they submitted in May.

“It’s not just one division of our department,” Sandidge noted. “That’s a well rounded organization.”

Keri Lenderink, a sophomore technical journalism student, news director and anchor, said this is just what the staff needed.

“That was a morale booster,” she said. “I’m really excited.”

KCSU staffers are old pros when it comes to CBI, as the award for ‘Best DJ in America’ the last two years in a row has gone to Baker Machado, the station’s most popular on-air personality.

“We gather stuff from all different categories and send them in,” said Christina Dickinson, a junior speech communication student and KCSU program director.

This year’s nominations included sports and news broadcasts, but KCSU earned its finalist spot for ‘Best Station Promotion’ for the station’s self-promotion during last year’s Ram Welcome.

“Any time we win an award it adds credibility to our station,” said Steve Hendriksen, a sophomore speech communication student and co-production director.

The winners are announced annually during an awards ceremony at the CBI Conference, which includes roundtable discussions and workshops with schools around the country.

“Winning the award is only half of the fun of CBI,” Dickinson said. “We get to learn things that make KCSU that much better.”

Lenderink agreed.

“We’re sending five people, including myself,” she said. “It’s going to be fun just to go.”

This year’s ceremony is to be held at the National College Media Convention Oct. 26 – 29 in St. Louis, Mo.

“We’re incredibly proud of all the changes we’ve made,” said Jeff Browne, general manager of Student Media. “We have a tremendously talented staff.”

Assistant news editor Marissa Hutton-Gavel can be reached at news@collegian.com.