Authors: Kevin Johnson

Recruiters from the embattled Hewlett Packard were on campus Thursday to pitch the benefits of working for the giant technology firm to CSU students – and the national scandal surrounding the company wasn’t on their radar.

“(Students) know that they need to take a long-term approach as opposed to what is in the news today,” said David Ramsay, campus manager for HP. “What goes on in the newspaper, those things come and go. HP continues on as a strong company.”

In the past weeks, HP has been accused of sending spies into newsrooms to uncover the source of media leaks from its boardroom. The company has admitted to spying on journalists, and its chairman announced last week that she would step down in January.

Students didn’t seem to be too concerned about the problems currently plaguing the company.

“Scandals happen everywhere,” said Matt Parker, a sophomore business finance major who was at the company recruitment fair held outside Rockwell Hall. “So it’s kind of hard to pick and choose which companies will turn out real bad and which companies will pull through.”

CSU aside, HP is the biggest employer in the county. The company hires more students from CSU than from any other college in the country, according to company officials.

On Thursday afternoon, the Palo Alto, Calif.-based company served gourmet pizza to potential recruits as students signed up for raffles for MP3 players and tote bags.

Ramsay said the company holds periodic recruiting events and that one is scheduled for the spring. The company is looking for a diverse group of students.

Although the College of Business is a focus of recruitment, the company also looks for students from several other majors, including journalism, engineering, communications and even psychology.

Recruiters educate students about internships, grants and how to navigate the company’s Web site.

Despite the success of local recruitment efforts, it was a dreary afternoon in Fort Collins. And for HP, it’s been a dreary month.

Mark Hurd, HP chief executive officer and president, is set to lead a press conference today about the investigation of leaks from its boardroom.

“What began as an effort to prevent the leaks of confidential information from HP’s boardroom ended up heading in directions that were never anticipated,” Hurd said in a statement posted on the company’s Web site.

“HP is working hard to determine exactly what took place and when, and without all the facts it has been difficult for us to respond to the questions that have been raised. We plan to give as much clarity as we can to these matters.”

But according to California Attorney General Bill Lockyer, who is conducting the investigation, HP is no longer cooperating.

“Today we ran into a brick wall,” Lockyer said in an interview Thursday night, Bloomberg.com reported. “California will become more aggressive in its probe because of the company’s stalling tactics.”

Locally, however, many aren’t too concerned with the spying scandal.

“CSU and HP have a good, longstanding relationship,” said David Zimmerman, a career counselor at the College of Business. “And I think the students still feel secure in that.”

Staff writer Kevin Johnson can be reached at news@collegian.com.