Authors: Kaitlin Snook

Throughout our entire lives, we girls have been labeled as the people who can do almost nothing unless we have a friend at our side. Whether it’s shopping, going to another Friday night party or the ever so infamous “bathroom breaks,” we rarely fly solo.

Growing up, most of us hung out with the same group of people for close to 13 years. These people were the ones who left marks on us and knew almost everything there was to know about ourselves.

They were the ones who remember the time Johnny got slapped by little Susie on the playground in the third grade for trying to look up her skirt. They were the ones who would never let you forget your first kiss on the bus in the seventh grade.

And these were the people who walked with us at graduation knowing that for most of us, we would never see, let alone think about, 95 percent of them again.

I am not here to reminisce about the past, but when I got to thinking about it the other day, instead of having the 13 years we had to spend getting to know those people, we now only have four to five years.

Four to five years to decide what to do with ourselves and make new friends who contribute to some of the best years of our lives.

And doing this all while knowing we will eventually go our separate ways.

Coming into college two years ago was not only scary, but having to open my entire world to somebody I didn’t even know made it ten times harder.

Some of us get lucky and are able to attend college with a few of our close friends, and others are not so lucky. Not only was I on my own two years ago, I had to struggle with sharing my world with a complete stranger.

It was a roommate who I knew nothing about except her name and where she was from. Hell, I didn’t even know Durango was a place in Colorado. She witnessed everything I did: when I showered, slept, my dirty habits, the good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between.

For some the whole random arrangement idea doesn’t work well, but for others, like me, you get lucky. I still live with my freshman-year roommate.

Along with my friends from home who attend school with me, she has also become part of my world. Knowing that in another three or so years I am once again going to be torn from not only my friends from home but also from her sucks.

So why is it worth all the pain? Because I know in the end, all the memories we have shared, the lessons we taught each other, the fights we have been through, and the struggles and triumphs we endured are worth the bond we share with these people.

So next time you think you are free-falling through life and it feels as if no one is there – just remember your friends will be there to catch you.

Kaitlin Snook is a junior technical journalism major. Her column appears Fridays in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.