Authors: JEFF DILLON The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Volleyball Head Coach Tom Hilbert will receive the Hall of Honor award at this fall’s CSU Hall of Fame banquet, according to an announcement made Wednesday.

Hilbert, who is in his 10th year as head coach, has posted a career record of 420-132 overall, including a 246-60 record with the Rams. Prior to his career at CSU, Hilbert spent eight seasons at Idaho. His overall record translates to a winning percentage of .761, the 12th best among coaches in the country.

Rams volleyball has risen to elite status during Hilbert’s tenure. CSU has won five of the last seven Mountain West Conference regular season titles, and two of the last three MWC tournament championships. They have advanced to eleven consecutive NCAA tournaments.

Since the league’s beginning in 1999, Hilbert has been awarded the conference’s coach of the year award five times.

The Hall of Honor award is given at each year’s Hall of Fame banquet by the Former Athletes Association Board of Directors. Past winners include track and field Head Coach Brian Bedard as well as swimming and water polo Head Coach John Mattos, both who were honored in 2005.

The announcement came as a surprise to Hilbert, who was proud to receive recognition for his work at CSU.

“I definitely didn’t see it coming,” said Hilbert. “It’s quite an honor because they don’t just give that to anybody. Every coach gets a chance to be a caretaker of a program for so long, and to be honored like this is pretty neat.”

“If you can say that you’ve not just made a contribution to one year or one season, but to an entire program, it’s special,” he said.

Rams players were also proud to hear the news. Hilbert’s teams have always been extremely complimentary of him, and sophomore outside hitter Jaime Strauss continued that trend.

“Tom always has a lot of goals for his teams,” she said. “His hard work ethic rubs off on us and pushes us.”

The 2006 CSU Hall of Fame ceremony will be held on Nov. 3 in Fort Collins. Hilbert will be honored along with five new inductees into the Hall of Fame.

Bryan Berryhill (track ,1997-2001), Ivan Dykeman, (track and football, 1929-32), Floyd Kerr (men’s basketball, 1996-1969), Mark Mullaney (football, 1972-1975) and CSU volleyball’s own Angela Knopf (1998-2001) will all be inducted at the ceremony.

Staff writer Jeff Dillon can be reached at sports@collegian.com.