Authors: AARON SCHOONMAKER The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Looking to avenge a home loss last weekend to the Buffaloes, the women’s club soccer team will head to Boulder this weekend for a potential rematch in the Boulder Invitational Tournament.

“Every year we match up well against Boulder,” said senior Lauren Dilts. “It’s our turn to beat them this time.”

The Rams are 4-1 on this young season with its lone loss coming at the hands of the Buffaloes last Friday night.

“You never like to lose at home,” Dilts said.

The wins have been somewhat impressive in their own right. A victory over Northern Colorado this past Sunday is the most recent in what has been a productive offense, having notched 20 goals in just five games.

As the national runner-ups a season ago, the team takes a different face this season.

“We may have lost some star power, but we gained some real good team players,” said Head Coach Jim Fronapfel. “I think that may help us go farther in that regard.”

After nine players graduated from last year’s squad, it was considered a bit of a rebuilding year for the Rams, which fell in the national championship last November to Michigan in a double overtime thriller.

“The second place finish last year lets us know we definitely have something going for us,” Dilts said. “But it also means that we can still improve.”

CSU will play Kansas State on Saturday morning then take on Auraria United in the afternoon. In hopes to get the rematch with the CU-Boulder gold squad, the Rams must win those and also defeat the CU-Boulder white team, which is considered the lesser of the two, to advance to the bracket round.

And even then another victory would set up the possibility of a championship game between the two schools.

“Already the team is looking really strong,” said Dilts. “We have a good dynamic with the quality new players and the senior leadership.”

The CSU green team will also make the tournament. It will open up with a Friday night contest with Laramie Community College, which lost to the gold team 4-2 earlier this season. The team will play a Saturday double header against California and Colorado-Colorado Springs, which gave up eight goals to the gold team in their meeting two weeks ago.

Staff writer Aaron Schoonmaker can be reached at sports@collegian.com.