Authors: MEGAN TRUSTY The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Plans for a new $100 million regional shopping center in south Fort Collins are on their way to becoming finalized, according to Bayer Properties, an Alabama-based developer working on the project.

David Silverstein, a Bayer Properties principal, said they’ve been working on this project for a little more than four years.

“I fell in love with Fort Collins when I first came here,” said Silverstein during a neighborhood meeting last week. “I’m passionate about bringing a wonderful project to this city.”

Bayer Properties has submitted official plans for its Front Range Village, a new 800,000 square foot shopping center off Harmony Road that will be anchored by Super Target, Lowes and a branch of the Fort Collins public library.

Almost 100,000 square feet larger than the Promenade Shops at Centerra in Loveland, Front Range Village is planned to be built just north of Harmony Road in between Timberline and Ziegler roads.

If plans for Front Range Village are approved at a public hearing, which will be held tonight, Bayer Properties hopes to begin construction in February 2007 with a prospective grand opening in the summer of 2008, according to Silverstein.

Bayer Properties, along with the city’s Current Planning Department held a neighborhood meeting last week where community members could come and voice their opinions about the project and become more informed about its development.

Members of the Fort Collins community and future neighbors of the shopping center expressed mixed feelings about its development. Many were concerned about a potential traffic increase in the area.

“My main concern is the traffic,” said Tim Cottam, a resident of one of the surrounding neighborhoods.

Cottam said his reason for attending the meeting was a curiosity about how the city plans to handle additional traffic the shopping center would bring.

However, Cottam was optimistic about prospective job opportunities that would come with a shopping center of this size.

“I’ve got teenage kids so I’m looking forward to job opportunities for them,” he said.

Others who attended the meeting held no reservations when asked about Front Range Village.

“Hell yes! Why not?” said Bob Shields, a Fort Collins resident who owns a farm one mile east of the center’s future location.

Shields has lived in Fort Collins for 50 years and feels the new shopping center will be a positive improvement to the city.

In addition to the two anchor stores, Target and Lowes, plans for the shopping center include a large sporting goods store, about two-dozen retail stores, several restaurants and a branch of the Fort Collins public library that would serve as a feature building, said Mike Tillman of CMH Architects who is working with Bayer Properties.

“Our goal is to bring quality retail to this center,” said Silverstein. “We need to create a sense of place for you to want to come to.”

Staff writer Megan Trusty can be reached at news@collegian.com.

What: Planning and Zoning Board meeting

When: 6 p.m.

Where: City Hall Council Chambers, 300 Laporte Ave.