Thousands raised for needy

Authors: LYNDSEY STRUTHERS

The fourth annual Cans Runneth Over raised $3,080 on Thursday for the Larimer County Food Bank.

Every dollar donated can be used to buy $10.20 worth of food.

Jake Blumberg, the public relations and marketing coordinator for the Office of Student Leadership and Civic Engagement, said the proceeds raised from the fundraiser are the equivalent of $30,000 for the LCFB.

This year’s donation saw an increase from last year, said Tom Stoner, the owner of Spoons restaurants, due in part to the addition of the Spoons restaurant in the Lory Student Center. Last year, Cans Runneth Over generated about $2,000.

“The students came out and supported us in a huge way,” said Stoner, whose restaurants donated all its proceeds from the afternoon to the food bank.

CSU students and Fort Collins residents were proud of the effort that Spoons made.

“I give props to the company that stops making a profit and gives it all to the food bank,” said Alannah Thompson, a freshman psychology major.

Cans Runneth Over offered a different method for residents to contribute.

“I like paying for people to eat by eating,” said Fort Collins resident Lexie Cordle, 18.

Melissa Britton, a manager at Spoons in the LSC, said even as a small company, Spoons proves it can help take care of the community.

“We are a small company making a large impact,” Britton said.

Cans Runneth Over kicked off this year’s 19th annual Cans Around the Oval. Cans Around the Oval is a partnership between CSU and the Fort Collins community to fight hunger.

Last year, Cans Around the Oval donated more than 117,000 pounds of food to the Larimer County Food Bank. Blumberg said that is equivalent to three semi-trucks filled from top to bottom.

“That kind of impact is something that lasts for more than just a day, more than just a month – it impacts people year round,” Blumberg said.

CSU students and the Fort Collins community can pick up supplies for Cans Around the Oval between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Tuesday in the Associated Students of CSU Senate Chambers.

Boxes, neighborhood maps and fliers are included in the supply kits.

Participants can collect donations for the event by purchasing canned goods from the grocery store, going door-to-door to collect items or making a monetary contribution.

“A can of corn can cost less than $1. If you spend $10 to $20 at the grocery store, that’s a huge impact, that’s feeding people, that’s making their lives livable,” Blumberg said.

The cans collected during this year’s Cans Around the Oval will be displayed from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 12 on the Oval.

“Its an event that we feel helps all the people involved in the event see what an impact they are making,” Blumberg said. “You truly realize that your impact combined with everyone else’s impact is going to make a gigantic difference to the community at large.”

Staff writer Lyndsey Struthers can be reached at news@collegian.com.

————–

Supply Distribution for Cans Around the Oval

When: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: ASCSU Senate Chambers

For what: To collect donations to bring from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Oct. 12 at the Oval