To the Editor

On Sept. 11, we were reminded of the terrible tragedy of the bombing of the World Trade Center and the horrendous loss of life. We were urged to fly our flags at half-staff and observe a moment of silence for those who died and the families left behind.

I believe we should continue to fly our flags at half-staff until the health of the first responders becomes a responsibility of the government. It is said that seven out of 10 people suffer from respiratory problems.

In Colorado, we should continue to fly our flags at half-staff because many, many poor, the working poor, children and the elderly are also suffering from a lack of sufficient health care.

Let’s continue in Colorado to fly our flags at half-staff for the huge number of families who have gone bankrupt because of their inability to pay their hospital bills even though they had health insurance.

Let’s continue to fly our flags at half-staff until all families are able to afford to send their offspring to college.

Let’s continue to fly our flags at half-staff because of the threat to our environment by the big oil, gas and timber companies.

Let’s continue to fly our flags at half-staff until we stop our reliance on gas-guzzling cars.

We can raise the flags to full-staff when we elect representatives who believe in serving the interests of the ordinary, hard-working people of Colorado.

One such person I know will fill this role is John Kefalas. John is not a politician, but just a good human being who wants to serve the people in House District 52.

Get out, register and vote on Nov. 7 for this honorable man, John Kefalas.

Mary Ackerman

Fort Collins resident