Authors: KEVIN JOHNSON The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Standing on the outskirts of a massive crowd that had assembled to hear President Larry Penley assess the current state of the university, Brenton McCoy leaned against his bike quietly listening to the president give his speech.

Afterward, McCoy, a senior health and exercise major, had his own assessment of the president’s address.

“I think he has done a fairly good job and I like where things are going,” he said. “I like some of the changes he has made and the increased funding to different departments.”

Penley didn’t address any of the recent negative coverage about the university – such as the recent arrests of multiple current and former CSU football players – but McCoy didn’t seem to mind.

“I think these issues need to be addressed, but I don’t feel like this is the right forum for that,” he said. “Overall, I would say Penley has done a fairly good job.”

On the other side of the spectrum is Adam Gmyrek, an undergraduate student who couldn’t say enough about how bad of a job he thinks the current president has done thus far.

Principle among his complaints was the president’s lack of communication with students about their individual concerns.

“I sent an e-mail to the president of this college requesting a meeting with him and it has taken him well over 10 days to respond.” Gmyrek said. “To me that’s pretty pathetic.”

“From the experience that I’ve had here at CSU, the undergraduate voice is non-existent; no one wants to hear what we have to say,” he added.

But it wasn’t just Penley who he was upset with.

“I have so many beefs with this school,” he said. “The technology is terrible. where are our fees? It’s pathetic.”

But lots of students didn’t particularly care one way or the other.

Matt Werth, a sophomore real estate and finance major, heard about Penley’s speech but was in class during it.

“To be honest, I don’t really know much about him,” he said. “I don’t really care.the school’s good so he’s good.”

Staff writer Kevin Johnson can be reached at news@collegian.com.