Players prep for ‘Pack

Authors: SEAN STAR The Rocky Mountain Collegian

In football, coaches use a wide variety of tactics to motivate their players. On Wednesday, defensive backs coach James Ward challenged his defensive backfield by telling them he would do pull-ups if someone made a big play.

The very next play, senior Chase Weber jumped a sideline route and made an interception.

“I don’t think he ever did them,” said junior cornerback Darryl Williams. “I think he slid out the back door.”

Head Coach Sonny Lubick was satisfied with the team’s last full-padded practice before traveling to Reno to take on the Nevada Wolfpack.

“They practiced really hard the last few days,” said Lubick. “Tomorrow we’ll try to go about as light as we can.”

Play of the day: Behind the motivation from coach Ward, Weber intercepted a pass from sophomore quarterback Billy Farris and returned it 90 yards down the sideline for a touchdown.

Quote of the day: “He’s a backup punter, so that couldn’t have been his first shank,” said junior Jimmy Kaylor about a joke he heard about the stabbing involving two punters from UNC. “That had me rolling on the ground laughing.”

Injury report: Sophomore tight end Kevin McPeek sat out of practice Wednesday after his left foot was stepped on during Tuesday’s practice. Also, senior safety Ben Stratton did not participate in contact drills because of soreness in his right knee.

Staff writer Sean Star can be reached @ sports@collegian.com.