Eat soup, help needy

Authors: LYNDSEY STRUTHERS The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Spoons Soups and Salads restaurants will be donating 100 percent of its proceeds from 3 p.m. until close tonight to the Food Bank for Larimer County.

In its fourth year, Cans Runneth Over, in conjunction with the 19th annual Cans Around the Oval, will be raising money and collecting food for those in need.

Tom Stoner, the owner of Spoons, said the restaurant volunteers all of its proceeds for the food bank because it is important to give back to the community.

“It’s a neat event; it’s wonderful to help the needy in Fort Collins,” Stoner said.

This year, with the addition of the new Spoons location in the Lory Student Center, Stoner hopes more students will have the opportunity to participate in the event.

“We are expecting a great turnout,” Stoner said. “The LSC is going to be a great venue.”

For Shelly Peitzmeier, the event coordinator for Student Leadership and Civic Engagement, Cans Runneth Over is important because it addresses an important matter.

“Hunger is an issue that is relevant in Larimer County,” the junior psychology major said.

In the last three years, Cans Runneth Over has raised about $7,000 for the food bank.

According to Jill Lysengen, the volunteer and development coordinator for the LCFB, every dollar donated to the food bank can provide four meals for a family. This is possible because the food bank is able to purchase food at reduced rates through food brokers.

Organizers are looking forward to the event as a way to get students ready for the annual can drive.

“It’s really cool because it kicks off Cans Around the Oval,” Peitzmeier said.

Staff writer Lyndsey Struthers can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Spoons Soups and Salads Locations:

The Lory Student Center food court

172 N. College Ave.

1118 W. Elizabeth St.