Punter named to Watch List

Authors: Brett Okamoto The Rocky Mountain Collegian

CSU punter Jimmie Kaylor, along with 31 other punters from across the nation, was announced today to the 2006 Ray Guy Award watch list.

The award, which is given to the top collegiate punter, will be presented to the winner on Dec. 7, on ESPN’s Home Depot College Football Awards Show.

Kaylor was the No. 1 punter in the Mountain West Conference last year and ranked fourth nationally. Kaylor has averaged 44.5 yards per punt through two games this season.

“It’s cool to get on the list, it’s something I’ve wanted to win,” said Kaylor. “It’s a goal of mine but I can’t think about it. Right now we’re thinking about winning games.”

The football team ran through its scout teams on Tuesday during a two-hour practice. The team is not taking its opponent, the Nevada Wolfpack, lightly, despite its opening 0-2 record.

“I think they’ve played two pretty good football teams in Fresno State and Arizona State,” said Head Coach Sonny Lubick. “That’d be hard on anybody.”

The team will return to practice today at 4 p.m.

Quote of the Day

“I wear a soccer shoe to kick in. Soccer players are different and don’t like normal colors I guess. My choices were red, blue or gold. Obviously I chose gold.”

Punter Jimmie Kaylor on the “Golden Boot” he wears on his kicking foot during gamedays.

Injury Report

Senior receiver Dustin Osborn (left ankle) has been moved from questionable to doubtful for Saturday’s game, according to Lubick. Center Tim Walter continues to miss time because of a right knee sprain.

Staff writer Brett Okamoto can be reached at sports@collegian.com.