Authors: NICK HUBEL The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The men’s and women’s cross country teams will have another chance to impress this Saturday at the BYU Autumn Classic in Provo, Utah. They will be facing a BYU team that was the preseason favorite to finish at the top of the Mountain West on both the women’s and men’s sides.

Head Coach Brian Berryhill agreed with the rankings, but has high hopes for this meet and the overall season.

“Having a team like (BYU) in our conference definitely gives us something to shoot for, a goal to go for every year,” Berryhill said. “So they will be our biggest hurdle, not only this year but in the future.”

Junior runner Andres Urbina agreed, saying that the race would be a good way to prove that CSU can contend for the conference.

“We all have the same common goal and that’s to beat BYU and get to nationals,” he said.

As the results for this meet will not count toward the overall rankings in the conference, the Rams will use this meet to get a better look at some of the younger or less experienced runners. It will also serve as a way for more experienced runners to get an extra race in before the first ranked meet on Sept. 23.

“A lot of them have been working out really well and this will be a good way to get a look at them,” Berryhill said.

The Rams are coming off a successful outing last week at the Wyoming Invitational where the women placed first and the men placed third. They hope to carry those results over into this week’s meet.

“The ones that ran well will definitely have some momentum,” Berryhill said.”And will definitely have a little confidence going into this week.”

The men’s four-mile race will begin at 10 a.m. and the women kick off their five-kilometer race at 10:50 a.m. on Saturday. The meet is being held at the East Bay Golf Course in Provo, Utah.