Authors: Collegian Editorial Staff

What a couple of weeks it’s been.

Fum’s Song is banned.

Kyle Bell is down.

And now this: Three football players will spend the weekend watching the game instead of playing in it at Invesco Field at Mile High.

At this point, everyone should give the nearest piece of wood a little love in an attempt to undo the jinx we seem to have tangled ourselves in.

But the CSU students and football team should remain focused.

Yes, this is a kick in the pants. Yes, it’s as if everything that could go wrong did. But life will go on, and there is a game to be won.

Last year, under former coach Gary Barnett, Colorado-Boulder’s football team had its fair share of bad luck and bad decisions, but the Buffs pulled it together for the Showdown. CSU went into the game flying high with new uniforms and new plays, but fell at the last minute to a 47-yard field goal.

It was a bitter and abrupt ending.

But it’s Showdown time again, and, despite our run of bad luck, it’s time for students to cheer and sing (preferably our beloved Fum’s Song), and for the remaining players to do what they’ve got to do to beat CU.

With any luck, Saturday could be the beginning of a great season, a rebirth of the Fum’s Song uprising and the start of a tradition where our team sends the Buffs home with their tails tucked between their legs.

But maybe, just for good measure, give that piece of wood one solid, final knock.