Authors: KEVIN JOHNSON The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Ernesto Zedillo, the former president of Mexico, is set to speak at CSU on Sept. 28.

He will address globalization and the emerging markets in Central and South America and how they may influence markets, policy and politics around the globe.

“Ernesto Zedillo was selected because of his renowned expertise in globalization and emerging markets,” said Jennifer Dimas, CSU spokeswoman. “Globalization and the global economy are focuses of the university.”

Born in Mexico City, Zedillo attended Mexican public schools, graduated from the School of Economics at the National Polytechnic Institute and earned a doctorate in economics at Yale.

After holding several positions at the Central Bank of Mexico, serving as Secretary of the Budget and Economic Planning and Secretary of Education, he was elected president of Mexico in 1994.

While president of Mexico, Zedillo worked to pave the way for a fresh, democratic climate while attacking the roots of political corruption, according to a statement released by CSU.

Zedillo undertook bold democratic and electoral reforms, opening the way for greater political pluralism in a nation long dominated by a single party, the statement continued.

Since leaving office in 2000, Zedillo has remained a leading voice on globalization, especially its impact on relations between developed and developing nations.

Zedillo currently serves as the director of the Yale Center for the Study of Globalization, Professor in the Field of International Economics and Politics and Adjunct Professor of Forestry and Environmental Studies at Yale University.

The event will be part of the Monfort Lecture Series.

In May 2002, the Monfort Family Foundation donated $5 million to CSU. At that time it was the largest cash gift ever announced by CSU. Through the gift, the university was able to create 10 new named professor positions, establish 30 new full-ride scholarships, add a faculty-in-residence program and a distinguished speaker series.

The Monfort Excellence Fund provides up to $200,000 annually for guest speakers for a period of five years, featuring speakers of international distinction.

Past speakers include former leader of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf.

The lecture is set to begin at 7:30 p.m. in Moby Arena.

Tickets are available at the Campus Box Office, The University Center for the Arts on Remington Street and the Lory Student Center, or by calling 491-4TIX or visiting www.csutix.com.

Staff writer Kevin Johnson can be reached at news@collegian.com.