To the Editor

I feel the editorial board has done an extreme disservice to women everywhere with their piece entitled, “Congress seat battle seems like teenage cat fight.”

I agree that the recent events in this congressional race are immature but to comment on them in the matter that the board did is a failed attempt to be witty and smart and to sustain the immaturity of the situation.

To compare this race to an election for prom queen only reinforces stereotypes and reduces these grown women to, well, what you called them: “girls.” Another damaging metaphor is the catfight. I believe when events such as these have happened in the past with male candidates, people tend to call that mudslinging. Why go for the easy joke?

Next time try to write something progressive and engaging that starts new conversations instead of igniting old ones. Just as you expect more out of the people that are supposed to represent you, I expect more from the paper that represents the student voice.

Katie Escudero

junior, sociology and ethnic studies double major

women’s studies certificate student

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I think the amount of uproar heard from removing Fum’s Song from games is enough to make me believe that our students have more spirit than they let on. Sometimes I would get frustrated with the fans who would leave halfway through the game because CSU was losing.

I also regretted hearing people say they were going to the games to get drunk. After hearing the strong reaction to a tradition of CSU, I believe that our students can do better in the stands.

Cheer on your team through thick and thin, applaud for the marching band and poms and cheers, and know that every minute you spend at the game boosts the morale of every CSU football player on that field.

Let’s be that extra man on the field.

Mila Morgese

junior speech communication

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

I understand that Ms. Gibbs feels that the student body should support State Rep. Paccione in her bid for the federal Congress, but I caution Ms. Gibbs against the phrase “real representation.”

District 4 does not solely represent half of the university population – the Larimer County 2004 election results Web site shows Matsunaka winning Larimer at 49 percent to Musgrave’s 46 percent.

District 4 encompasses 16 counties, the majority of which are farming communities. In March of this year, Rep. Musgrave introduced a bill that seeks to recover the forestry, ranching and farming lands in America, as well as encourage the use of renewable energy sources in agriculture.

She also sponsored five pieces of legislation that improved our national parks facilities, amended a national scholarship program so that motivated home-schooled students could compete and sponsored two pieces of legislation designed to improve outdated water facilities in both Northern and Southern Colorado. District 4 does stretch all the way down the eastern border to Baca County.

I think it is great that students are getting involved, but throwing propaganda stones is not the way to start the season.

I hope this election stays civil, and positively promotes candidates instead of attacking the others.

Regarding Referendum C, I would suggest you contact the ASCSU Director of Legislative Affairs, Luke Ragland; he’s here to answer your questions.

Katherine Brownell

Senior history major

To the Editor

Uncategorized  Add comments

There exists an incredible irony in the opinion article by Alex Clark of The Daily Nebraskan. I wonder how many readers picked up on it. Though Clark’s point was about the pitfalls of higher education’s emphasis on standardized testing, it instead made me wonder about standards in journalism.

In the fifth paragraph of his otherwise decent essay, Clark invites us to join him in “making a one-handed ‘wanking’ gesture” in response to the ability of standardized tests to say anything meaningful about incoming freshmen. After throwing out some statistics to emphasize his point, Clark implies his hand is getting tired, and asks if mine is, too.

Obviously, hilarity is supposed to ensue at this point. I tried to excuse this little piece of vulgarity that was a featured piece on the opinion page, for as the opinion page policy states: “The columns on this page represent the viewpoints of the individual author and not necessarily that of the Rocky Mountain Collegian.”

But this column did apparently represent the view of the Rocky Mountain Collegian that allusions to masturbation have a place in a critique of admissions standards for universities.

Further evidence of the apparent acceptance of vulgarity and profanity appears in a prominently placed quote above the headline on page nine in which the reader is advised to “get your ass out there and see Silver Mt. Zion.”

I am a journalism major here at CSU and I find this degree of un-professionalism in what is supposed to be a well-regarded campus newspaper produced by a highly respected journalism college to be appalling. Might I ask for the Collegian to exhibit a greater level of respect for its readers?

Alex Clark

Freshman history major