Authors: Vimal Patel The Rocky Mountain Collegia

Fum shines light on PC, Facebook

For good or bad, the uproar over Fum’s Song dominated last week’s news coverage in the Collegian.

Some, inside and outside the staff, lamented the amount of coverage the topic received in these pages. I certainly can understand that viewpoint. After all, the song wasn’t banned, but will simply no longer be played on the electronic screen at Hughes Stadium.

Not only that, but it had only been around for a year – not exactly the “tradition” that so many called it.

So why did we cover it?

The simple answer: our readers cared.

More than 2,500 students joined star running back Kyle Bell’s Facebook group protesting the university’s decision to no longer play the song.

Any time 2,500 of you get together to do anything, chances are, you’ll read about it in the Collegian.

Populist influences aside, there were some pretty heavy underlying issues that Fum’s Song scratched.

The one I believe made the most people fume was the whole notion that political correctness has run amok. PC, a political buzz term now used by many to squelch the legitimate gripes of minorities being unfairly treated, started out with good intentions.

Why unnecessarily hurt someone when you don’t need to, PC proponents say.

The run amok part, as it relates to the Fum case, is the belief of many that this was clearly a case where no one was being hurt. Tom Field, the subject of the now legendary “Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum” shot and president of the Alumni Association, said the song was never sung with bad intentions.

The song – which called CSU rivals “sissy boys” and “drunkards,” and capped off with “Before I’d see him in Boulder, I’d see my son in hell” – is part of what good-natured college rivalries are all about, Field said.

PC, and all the changes that CSU has or is set to make to become more family friendly, is a topic I strongly feel ought to be talked about. And the Collegian will continue to spark that dialogue.

Also, the Facebook phenomenon treaded on new sociological ground. We did a quick analysis story about the online networking site’s ability to galvanize college students. Look for more exploring of this topic ahead.

Lots of media – including The Coloradoan, The Rocky Mountain News, The Denver Post and 9News – covered the Fum flap, but none more thoroughly than the Collegian.

That’s the way it should be.

This is our turf and we’ll continue delivering accurate news that matters to you in as timely manner as possible. And, as always, if you think we’ve gone overboard, convince us.

And, even better, let us know what you think we ought to be covering.

Vimal Patel, the Collegian’s news managing editor, is a senior technical journalism major. His column runs Tuesdays in the Collegian. Replies and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.