Authors: KATRINA TAMMINGA The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The advocacy offices at CSU are opening their doors to the start of the new school year. Each office has hosted or plans to host an open house welcoming all students, specifically freshmen and transfer students, into their offices.

Kathryn Douglass, administrative assistant to the Asian/Pacific American Students Services, said the open houses are a chance for first-year students and transfer students to meet people on campus and learn about the different services their offices provide.

Bianca Garcia, a senior psychology major, said El Centro Hispanic Student Services is hosting its open house not only to welcome students but also to show students and faculty the new El Centro office, located in Room 178 of the Lory Student Center.

“We really want to invite all students, new and returning, who have not come into our office yet, to come and see it, as well as all the resources we have to offer,” Garcia said.

Representing the largest minority group on campus, Francisco Guajardo, a junior construction management major, said El Centro’s main goal is to encourage more people to get involved.

“We want people to see that we are a resource leader and show them that there was a reason El Centro received funding for the new office,” Guajardo said. “We want to welcome everyone back to school as well as continue to promote to other advocacy offices and all of the other networks and alliances we have on campus.”

Ty Smith, director of the Native American Student Services, said that although they have already held a luncheon for new students, they will have an official open house Nov. 1 to kick off Native American Awareness month.

“Our open house will not only welcome students back but also encourage them to get involved and take interest in Native American culture,” Smith said.

Black Students Services hosted its open house Aug. 22.

“We had a phenomenal turnout,” said Jennifer Williams Molock, the BSS director. “We had at least 250 people come in throughout the set time. It was great to be able to introduce new students to returning students and staff, as well encourage the new students to get involved.”

Staff writer Katrina Tamminga can be reached at news@collegian.com.

—————

Upcoming events:

Asian/Pacific- Thu, Aug. 31, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m., LSC Room 212

Thu, Sept. 14, 6 p.m. – 8 p.m., LSC Room 212

El Centro Hispanic Student Services- Thu, Aug. 31, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m. in LSC Room 178

GLBT Student Services – September

Resources for Disabled Students – November

Native American Student Services – Wed, Nov. 1

Women’s Programs- Thu, Sept. 14, 1p.m. – 4 p.m., Student Services Room 112